Frequently Asked Questions
Quality and Precision
- Can you describe your editors' experience/backgrounds? Our editors are arguably the best in the industry. They have years of experience as English professors and teachers, newspaper and magazine copy editors, and other relevant professions. More information is available on our leadership page.
- Who are your clients? We proofread and edit for businesses, academics, authors, people applying to jobs, and more. For a partial client list, please click here.
- Can you show me some testimonials? Absolutely. Please see our Reviews page.
- Do you provide free samples? We do. To request a free sample, please click here.
- Are your services automated? No, our services are the result of years of professional training as proofreaders and editors. Unlike other companies, we never use proofreading or editing software.
- What are your rates? Our rates are remarkably simple to calculate and are available here.
- What payment options do you offer? Through our website, you can pay securely using a credit card (including Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, and many other types) or PayPal. We can invoice in select situations; simply contact us.
- Do you offer discounts? We offer volume discounts for lengthy projects as well as coupon codes like this one: JUSTBECAUSE5 (takes 5% off any order). You can receive more coupon codes by signing up for our mailing list.
- Why do people select your service over others? This is an easy one. Try to find an error on this page. We will give you a minute... Over 3,000 clients have entrusted their important documents to us. Here's what some of them have had to say about our services. We also encourage you to request a 100% free sample and to contact us with any questions.
- How do you price website proofreading? You can get a website proofreading quote here.
- How do you price PDFs? If you would like us to find the word count and/or page count of your PDF, simply upload your document here. We will use proprietary technology to obtain the word count of your PDF. Once we have that, our standard proofreading and editing rates will apply.
- Do you have corporate accounts? We do. Please contact us to learn more about how anyone at your company can submit documents to us for editing and/or proofreading. We can invoice your company or department monthly.
- Do you allow payments via invoice? We do in limited situations. Please contact us to discuss invoicing options.
Methods and Processes
- What is proofreading? What is editing? The short version is this: Proofreading involves removing embarrassing errors from a document. Editing involves removing embarrassing errors and improving how a document sounds. We offer both as a combined service, unless you prefer that we only proofread your work (in that case, simply tell us in the "Special Instructions" section when ordering). Here's a more comprehensive answer: Proofreading takes place at or near the final stage of the publication process. It is one of the last checks for errors before a document is submitted, published, printed, or otherwise finalized. Proofreading assumes the author has written the content as he or she would like, and it involves reviewing a document only for blatant errors in spelling, grammar, formatting, and word choice. Editing goes deeper into the text and involves correcting content-related issues regarding word choice, sentence structure, flow, style, tone, and much more.
- What style guides do you use? We can work with any style guide. We most often work with Chicago, APA, MLA, and Harvard, but if you don't see your style guide among that list, chances are we have still worked with it. If you have any style questions, just ask. You can indicate your style guide preferences in the "Special Instructions" section when ordering.
- Can you help me find the word count of my Microsoft Word document, PDF, or website? Absolutely. If you would like help, simply upload your document here. (If you have a website you would like proofread, please request a quote here.)
- How fast can you review my document? We offer several turnaround time options, which you can see here.
- What file formats do you review? We review Microsoft Word files (.doc and .docx) and PDFs. We also proofread websites.
- How will you deliver my document? We send all reviewed documents via email.
- How will I know what you changed? We record all of our changes and suggestions using Microsoft Word's Track Changes feature (or the analogous feature for PDFs). Microsoft Word's Track Changes feature will allow you to easily review the changes we make. We also leave helpful comments to the author in the margins.
- I don't understand how to use Microsoft Word's Track Changes feature. Can you help? Certainly. For a quick overview of how to work with Track Changes, please check out this short YouTube video, which explains some of the basic functions such as accepting edits. If you have any questions about this or other issues, please never hesitate to contact us. We are here to help.
- Can you return a clean version of my document (i.e., without tracked changes)? Absolutely. After ordering, you'll be able to let us know in the Special Instructions section that you would like us to deliver both a document with tracked changes and a document without tracked changes (a clean version). There is no extra charge for this service (we try to keep things simple).
- How do you display changes in a PDF? We have two options, depending on how the PDF was made: (1) With many PDFs, it's possible to highlight our changes using an Adobe Acrobat feature specifically designed for doing so (this feature is similar to Microsoft Word's Track Changes feature). (2) We can convert your PDF into a Word document and use Track Changes to clearly label our edits.
- Do you proofread websites? We proofread websites frequently. For more information, please visit our page dedicated to website proofreading.
- Can you proofread and edit UK English? Yes. We have many editors who are experts in reviewing UK English. If you would like us to review your document using UK English rules and spelling conventions, simply let us know in the "Special Instructions" section when ordering.
- Will you write/rewrite my paper? We will not. Proofreading and editing strictly involve improving documents that already contain good content. We won't insert our own ideas into your work, but we will help convey your thoughts professionally and clearly.
Security and Confidentiality
- Will my document be secure? Will you regard my document as confidential? Absolutely. Your document will be secure from the second you upload it via our secure checkout to when it is being reviewed by our editors (all of whom follow our industry-leading confidentiality practices) to when it is sent to you via email. We take security and confidentiality very seriously.
- Will you steal any of my work? Do you make any claim to copyright? Absolutely not. We would never dream of it. ProofreadingServices.com makes no claim to any of our clients' copyrights. Your work is your own. ProofreadingServices.com does not require any form of acknowledgement for documents we've reviewed. After you pay for our proofreading or editing services, you own the changes we make for you.
- What is your phone number? Our phone number is 1-800-492-6773. You can also email us here or sign up for our mailing list to receive exclusive discounts.
- When is customer support available? Customer support is typically available via phone (1-800-492-6773) Monday through Friday from 9AM to 5PM EDT. Email support is available more widely.
- When are your editors available? When do you accept documents? We accept documents 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We are available right now.
Have a question?